Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Reflections on being a Teaching Assistant - Class Work

I always find that my time inside the class room is always spent awkwardly. The teacher that I am the assistant to is very good at what he does, but it leave me with very little to do for the first portion of the class. During the lecture, I don't have much to do because the slide deck is pretty short overall, and afterward he goes into examples. I don't really have much to do until it is time for the ICE. It is a little disheartening to sit around for the first half of class and not doing anything of real value. I do enjoy the time after though where I can help the students. It is always surprising to me just how much these people know. There always seems to be an even split between the students with a strong background and those that came in knowing nothing. Never really any in the middle though...

The most interesting thing to me is the amount of times where a student will create an issue that just explodes the program. Those are fun to try and figure out. It is also pretty fun to go up to a student who is having an issue and just point to one portion of code that is the issue. In either case, I try to make sure the student is the one to figure something out as opposed to just straight up telling them the answer. I feel like it does more to help them learn, though I'm pretty sure that it can also make look like I don't really know myself. Oh well, take the bad with the good I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment