Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 16th: RocPy meet-up

So this was a new experience. I had never been to RocPy before, but I was moderately aware of what happens at the events because of what DeCause talked about regarding it during class. I knew that it would be over at the University of Rochester, and I knew that people would be giving talks about the various works they had done in the last month while working with Python. What I was not expecting was that we would be in a classroom off hidden in a corner of one of the buildings. It was a little jarring and made it easier to see why they didn't have many people outside of the people that DeCause had brought with him.

The actual information presented was pretty interesting. RyanSB gave a presentation on the general make up of the course website and what goes into it. There was also a large portion dedicated to being able to create things using OpenShift. At least I believe that was the premise, what was happening while RyanSB was talking was a little over my head for the majority of the technical aspects.

There was a few lightning talks, with the first one being by a fellow classmate who presented on why you shouldn't include the .git folder where you host your website. It was rather interesting overall. DeCause also gave a lightning talk which was over a tumbr blog that he came across which mashed up a programming book and the King James bible. DeCause ran with this and made wupotus, which is a mash up of speeches from President Obama and lyrics from the Wu-tang clan. He showed it off, but then quickly remembered it was very NSFW.

Overall RocPy was an interesting experience and I am looking forward to going back again next month, though I do wish the accommodations weren't so...sketchy? Just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment