Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Reflections on being a Teaching Assistant - Finals

This week was finals week and it has been rather hectic for me. I have two take home exams that I need to do in addition to a presentation to give. The biggest thing though was the fact that I had to go to the final for the class that I am the assistant for. The exam was at 8:00 AM on Monday. That is so bad compared to what I normally have to do. Either way, Finals are strange when you aren't actually the one that has to take them. Just watching everyone furiously strike at the keyboard, hoping they can figure out the problem in the time they have left. I think the most frustrating thing is that there really isn't any way to help them if they get stuck. I have watched students almost completely break down before the exam.

The other big part that makes attending an exam that you really aren't a part of awkward is the fact that there really isn't anything to do. Partly because you can't really create a distraction for the students and also because you have to be ready for if they have a question that they need answering, that you can actually answer. It is just two hours of standing there waiting for something to happen. At the very least, taking a look at the exam that the professor prepared, it didn't seem too difficult, which was good. Overall, I am glad to be done with it for a while anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment