Friday, March 14, 2014

Meet-up Report: March 14th meeting of Linux Users Group

This was interesting. The Linux Users Group is a club on the RIT Campus that meets on Fridays in the Golisano college. The group itself is roughly 5 years old according to the club's President. The general meetings seem to be centered around spending the first hour giving a presentation teaching some aspect of using Linux and the other hour spent as an open forum for its members.

The subject of today's meeting was installing and compiling the Linux Kernel on the member's laptops. I would have joined in if I wasn't afraid of straight bricking my laptop. Not exactly the best idea with work to do later. Regardless, the presentation itself was a fairly interesting one even if I wasn't able o follow everything exactly. I feel like this probably wasn't the best initial introduction to the group for an inexperienced user like myself.

The presenter was very knowledgeable about the subject and presented from a slideshow, but the presentation itself was rather lacking overall. I don't know if this is just usual fair for the group, but of the eight regulars there, many were jumping in and either adding to what was being said or commenting on what was going on. This would be fine for a different activity, but doing something as complex as compiling a kernel, it was very distracting to the entire process.

Overall, I felt like I learned something, even if it isn't enough information to do something with. I could see myself coming back here in the future if only to see if I can't learn something new. I will try to come back in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment